NPR – Education
- How It All Turned Out: A Kindergarten Story, 13 Years Later - NPR was there for 5-year-old Sam's first day of kindergarten back in 2004. His parents wondered if he was ready. This month, as he graduated from high school, they're still asking that question.
- Anne Frank's Diary At 75 - It's been 75 years since 13-year-old Anne Frank sat down to write her first diary entry about hiding during World War II. Today, her legacy is carried on at an elementary school in Philadelphia.
- Louisiana Is First State To Ban Public Colleges From Asking About Criminal History - The "ban the box" movement is designed to open opportunities to the tens of millions of Americans with some kind of criminal record.
- Federal Officials Turn To Private Law Firms To Chase Student Loan Debtors - People who default on their student loans could hear from a private debt collector. The government turns to collection agencies to get payments out of people who often don't work and can't have their wages or tax returns garnished.
- Online Retail Boom Means More Warehouse Workers, And Robots To Accompany Them - On the outskirts of the Bay Area, farming communities are hoping that warehouse jobs tied to the e-commerce surge will boost the local economy. But automation is expected to take over many such jobs.
Yahoo News – Education
- Four GOP senators: We won’t vote for new health care bill -
In a potentially game-changing move, four conservative senators quickly announced Thursday afternoon that they oppose the health care bill rolled out by Republican Senate leadership earlier in the day. Ted Cruz, R-Texas and Ron Johnson, R-Wis. said in a statement that the proposal did not go far enough to overhaul the current system. “There are provisions in this draft that represent an improvement to our current health care system, but it does not appear that this draft as written will accomplish the most important promise that we made to the Americans: to repeal Obamacare and lower their health care costs,” the group said in the release.
- Philandro Castile Death: Police Dashcam Video Released -
- Trump fumes on Twitter after ex-Homeland Security chief testifies about Russian cyberattacks -
Former U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson testifies about Russian meddling in the 2016 election before the House Intelligence Committee on Capitol Hill June 21, 2017. President Trump fired off a barrage of tweets Thursday morning, hammering away at the “big Dem scam” and “big Dem HOAX!” in the aftermath of former Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson’s testimony the day before about Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 U.S. election. In particular, Trump seized upon Johnson’s comment that the Democratic National Committee was among those who rebuffed his department’s offer for assistance during the Russian attack.
- Crash that killed teenage siblings so horrific emergency responder went into cardiac arrest -
An emergency response volunteer went into cardiac arrest while helping to remove bodies from the scene of a “horrific” car accident in which two teenage siblings and a 70-year-old man were killed. Eric Neibaur, 15, and his 13-year-old sister Lauren Neibaur died when their pick-up truck collided with Jay Lanningham’s vehicle on a major road in the US state of Idaho. Police said a member of the local search and rescue unit had to be revived with a portable defibrillator after his heart stopped at the scene of the crash, reported the Idaho State Journal.
- FCC Regulators Are Now Imposing Record Fines for Robocalls -
Diverse Issues in Higher Education